Thursday, February 8, 2007

Poetry Journal #3


Forgetfulness by Billy Collins

S – A person curious of why things aren’t remembered
O – Seeing something familiar but does not recall exactly
A – those who forget
P – to say that it is normal for people to forget
S – function of brain capacity of memory
TONE – confused

failure to remember
The name of an author
I don’t even know
Let alone remember
If it’s a good one
The plot might stay
Not 4 forever
But as of today
Some say….
If you forgot
it might not have been important in the first place
Or important today
For instance the name of all the power rangers
Because you simply grew out of that memory
For some things involving geometry that you initially
Didn’t even learn
so confusion occurs when it appears
Whatever it is that we don’t remember
Was obviously not in your mind to stay
And will make us think we didn’t even know it in the first place
But something peculiar
about it
Will be familiar

The reason I decided to make a poem sort of in response to this poem is because this is something I am a victim of; forgetting. I enjoyed the poem’s list of things so I decided to make my own in some way that could connect to this poem and some of my observations. The animation to this poem in some ways instilled a certain tone in my mind which was some what like passive or tiresome. For some reason the poem had a point, but not the most powerful one and philosophical, so I wanted mine to be the same.

1 comment:

Laura said...

NOEL!!!!
i really like your version of the poem! it really makes sense, and i can definitely see where you're coming from!