Thursday, February 15, 2007

Journal #6

S – A man
O – A man telling his love one to be honest
A – Those that cheat on others, and those who understand but just want to be told the truth
P – If you lose love for a person just tell them, don’t cheat
S – Loyalty, honesty, love
TONE – subtle demanding and understanding and sad

Contemporary Poet

Just be real

It may not always be so, and I say
You men and women who deceive others
Why do you do it because if you were lovers
The other would want to know on any given day
If you’re losing interest or no longer want to be amongst one another’s
Arms; don’t put a façade
Even if it’s April and you have been together since last may

If this should be, I say if this should be –
The heart of the other might be destroyed, but its better than
To be cheated on day after day, and lying in their face
Its just not right, and I wouldn’t want it to happen to me
So don’t lie, be honest, but however you feel
Just be real

The way I interpreted “it may not always be so; and I say” by E.E. Cummings is by the speaker being, unfortunately, in a relationship, in which their partner no longer loves them and is with someone else. Therefore, I wanted to make my poem with similar feelings. In life I notice that people are often disloyal to their partners, some to be cool and others because they simply lost love, so I wanted to make it clear to that it’s wrong. In some ways I offer better solutions than cheating on the person one is losing interest in. In my opinion I think it is much better for a person to just brake up with another person rather than cheating on them. Hence, my poem delivers that message that people should just be real.

3 comments:

*Sally* said...

I absolutely love the way in which you took the message of the other poem and made your own. I agree with the message of your poem as well. I believe that it is very important to tell your partner how you really fell about them; in a relationship communcation is essential for it to work out. It is also important to have mutual feelings about one another because if they dont then whats teh purpose of continuing with the realtionship. Its better to break up with the person when the feelings change rather than lie to them and hurt them evern more in the. Grat JOb Noel, I love your poem!

ingrid said...

NOEL!!! This is so good. Though it is not the first time I have been honored to read your poetic talent, I must say that you have once more impressed me. I wrote about this poem too and had a very similar interpretation. I too talked about how the speaker was losing her love, though more than anything, I felt like he was saying that his love for her was so great that he would willingly give her up to the one who promised to make her more happy than he could. To me it just seemed that he loved her very unselfishly. Very much like you love Laura I am sure!!!

PS. Happy belated Birthday.

Jannette A. said...

NOEL! BEAUTIFUL POEM!
ITS KINDA WEIRD THAT YOU WOULD WRITE THIS POEM BECAUSE YOU AND LAURA DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANY OF THAT. HOWEVER AFTER READING YOUR EXPLANATION I SEE WHY YOU WROTE IT. I LIKE THE TECHNIQUES YOU USED IN YOUR POEM AND WHILE ITS A REPLY TO THE POEM I CAN HEAR YOUR VOICE IN THIS POEM. I THINK YOU DID A REALLY GOOD JOB WITH THIS POEM RESPONSE. YOU SHOULD BE THE NEXT SHAKESPEAR MAN AND LAURA SHLOUD BE THE NEXT EMILY DICKENSON LOL WAT A CUTE COUPLE!!! GOOD JOB!